Friday, July 07, 2006

Remembrance

By coincidence, I was in London today attending another seminar. this being the first anniversary of the London bombings, there was a minutes silence at midday. The company holding the seminar were thoughtful enough to call a stop while everybody did whatever they thought appropriate during this minute. Many people went outside. What I felt appropriate for me was to find a quiet place to meditate. I offered the merits of my brief meditation to the families of those killed in the bombings.

What has particularly impressed me is the determination of the people of London not to turn this into the British 9/11. In other words, not to see themselves as victims. Many people taking it in their stride and simply getting on with their lives. Of course, the victims and their families and friends are a completely different matter, understandably, and that is why I offer them merit. I also offer merit to the Islamic community in this country who have offered almost universal condemnation at these actions and yet still suffer increased prejudice because of it.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it will time, maybe another generation, and patience to resolve this. if people of good heart keep on making their own offering, then there will be progress.
i lived my adult life with the troubles in ireland. there was abombing in my small town.
then it changed. people did not give up. they kept reaching out.
thanks for your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home